Two days ago, I put Makamae of Manoa (aka Maka) down. After 15 years, the Woofer-dog, Pooper, Van Gogh bit his last tennis ball and ate his last cookie. To say he was a great dawg, is an understatement. Other than a penchant for cat shit, he was without a doubt, a perfect Golden. Amiable, welcoming, kind with children, cats, and other dogs, affectionate and loyal. And goofy, And handsome and adept at husking a coconut in 5 minutes flat.
As some of you know, he'd had a tough year with healing from his burn at the beginning of the year and his subsequent cancer which was discovered too late. He never uttered a note of complaint, even when subjected to such indignities as the dreaded "cone."
Here are some archived fotos of the Maka dawg (and company):

Honeygirl (L) & Maka dawg (R) sharing a stick!
Makana (L) & Maka dawg (R) sharing a stick!; enjoying a marrow bone; snoozing with Kathy

A very young Maka dawg Haole cat.

4 comments:
Hi Guys, I was so sad to hear about Maka. I know you must be devastated and be feeling pretty lonely and empty about now. He was a great dog and everyone had to love him. I used to love hearing Kathy telling Maka stories, especially about counter surfing! Anyhoo, I'm glad you had all those great years with him and know you will miss him dearly.
Love,
Jan, Noa, Boki and Malu
Hi Annie and Kathy, It breaks my heart to hear about Maka's passing. Even though we can rationalize that it was for the best, there is still the emptiness to deal with. It is the day that I am dreading with my own dog.
Take care. It's great that you have all those photos!
love, e
Hey Annie and Kathy--
I am so sorry to read that Maka has left...he was a good doggie. I've never seen a senior covet toys like he did. I'm sure that your household is very different without him there. Although it's so sad that he is gone, you definitely provided the best life for him. He was one lucky dog!!
Love,
Jen
Hi neighbors, We are truly devastated to hear that Maka has passed. We never got to say aloha although we have great memories of the Lunaai pack, Maka,Makana,Pohaku Shadow, Lani,the Sowa na popoki crew(Makas snack stop, at their food dish). Maka was truly the aged ambassador of the street and we will remember his reign with great fondness.
Ed, Georgi, and the keeds
Post a Comment